Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Dining Hall




This is my first time to see a cafeteria this big. Well, the selection of food is not very diverse, but still, a 4-level cafeteria! Literally, the cafeteria is one building (with escalators and elevators). I find it weird that the cafeteria has escalators, but the dormitories only have stairs. I had a difficult time bringing up my 25kgs luggage to the 3rd floor of Dorm9.  Anyway, here’s a snapshot of Dining Hall Level2:

Level2 Dining Hall



This is only one side of the Level2. You can see a big screen flashing some recent important events that happened in BLCU. The one in the right-most corner of the photo above is one of the many “food windows”. The fourth level is more posh than the rest. There is a sushi restaurant, Korean restaurant, MAAN Cafe. In the 3rd Level, you will see almost the same setting except without the big screen. There are more patrons in Level3 because (1) food sellers accept cash and (2) there are more and better choices. Here's Level3:



Level3 Dining Hall



Now, you need to know that there are food windows that do not accept cash payment. You need to have an “all-in-one campus card”, as the BLCU call it. What the hell is that? I honestly do not know as of the moment. I am assuming that is the school ID. But if you don’t have your all-in-one campus card yet, just like me, you can purchase a temporary card just like this:


Here’s my first time experience with the Dining Hall.

September 19, 1PM

My class just ended. We had a bit of an over time. I went to the Dining Hall for lunch. This is my second time to enter the Dining Hall. The first time, I just entered the building and after realizing that they do not accept cash, I bought lunch elsewhere. Now, my second time was a successful attempt. After receiving my student handbook with English translation, I read that the card can be bought in the Network Information Center, wherever that is.

Upon arriving at Level2 of the Dining Hall I noticed a line. I read some of the postings in the window and I realized, Eureka! This is where I buy the card. But when I was in the line, I noticed that people already have their cards and they were just reloading the balance of the card. So, I told the lady in the counter that I do not have a card yet. I said it in English. And she replied to me that I should look for someone who can speak Mandarin because she cannot understand me. (I understood her. Do not ask why. I am here to guide you to BLCU not to answer mysteries). I ask the blonde girl behind me where she got her card. She said, just give her (the lady in the counter) money. Since I am an abiding citizen, I gave her money, 100RMB, and she handed me my temporary card with 80RMB balance. I bought rice worth 0.60RMB (the rice here is cheap!) and a viand which I am not sure if it is chicken or beef or what with potatoes (I think) worth I really do not know. I was not able to track how much the viand is worth because when I tapped it, the numbers appeared so fast. Well, here’s my meal. I am pretty sure that this cost less than 10RMB. I got this in Level2.



Things to remember from this entry:

  • You need a card. If you don’t have the all-in-one campus card, you can buy a temporary card in Level2 or Level 3 of the Dining Hall. The card cost 20RMB. Don’t worry; this is refundable. If you do not want the card anymore and you still have balance remaining, just surrender the card and you will be refunded 20RMB+ the remaining balance of the card. If you do not want a card, you can dine at Level3.
  • The Dining Hall practices CLAYGO. (This is how we term this in my previous university) or Clean as You Go, meaning self-bussing.
  • The food is not expensive. It can range from 2RMB to 20RMB. However, they very seldom change the menu. (Monday's menu is also Tuesday's menu)
  • If you have a temporary card, you will be charged 20% higher than the labelled price. In my experience, my rice was worth 0.60RMB instead of 0.50RMB. Again, do not ask me why.


Viola! The BLCU Dining Hall





No comments:

Post a Comment